Job Responsibilities & Performance Standards:
Provides financial/housing counseling to ALT Affordable Housing Program clients.
- Develops action plans for prospective/ current lease-purchase clients;
- Schedules appointments and meets monthly with lease-purchase clients to perform one-on-one housing counseling sessions and track progress towards action plan goals;
- Manages client caseload, which includes:
- Developing strategies for addressing financial objectives;
- Interacting with clients, in a professional, responsive, helpful, and positive manner, within scheduled appointments as well as in follow‐up calls, correspondence and contacts;
- Providing additional consultation /guidance on finance/ housing issues;
- Advocating to creditors, attorneys, benefit providers, and other resources on behalf of clients;
- Ensuring client files are complete, including appropriate information releases, file documentation, proper computer database entry, and related correspondence.
- Conducts 8-hour HUD Certified Homebuyer Education Classes, and coordinates the participation of clients and guest speakers (realtors, attorneys, bankers, insurance agents);
- Serves as the “Counselor on Call” and provides information, advice, and referral to consumers who call‐in with questions. Directs callers to make full counseling appointment when appropriate.
- Ensures that proper documentation is maintained for the Housing Counseling Program, including case files for individual clients and homebuyer education workshop participants; maintains web-based Client Management System;
- Ensures that all reporting (CDBG, HUD, various grants), are completed and accurate.
- Assists with obtaining funding through grant writing
- Ability to assist foreclosure prevention clients
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and administrative skills including meticulous attention to detail and demonstrated accuracy and timeliness in record keeping, problem solving and follow through;
- The ability to successfully manage multiple assignments independently including being able to set priorities and meet deadlines;
- The ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people;
- Flexibility to be both a team player and a self-starter, comfortable in a supporting role and in working independently;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, cloud software (e.g. SalesForce.com) and /or interest to learn new technologies and systems;
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree required.
- Certified Housing Counselor- willing and able to obtain the new HUD Housing Counseling Certification within 3 months of hire.
- Ability to pass HUD Housing Counseling practice test